SoCal Injury Lawyers fight for the rights of burn injury victims throughout Southern California. We know that burn injury victims experience significant pain and suffering. Severe burns can cause disfigurement and scarring, require ongoing treatment, and result in mounting medical expenses. If you or a loved one has sustained a burn injury that was caused by another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to significant compensation.
We have a proven track record of achieving significant settlements and jury verdicts, having recovered millions of dollars in damages for injury victims. When you become our client, we will work tirelessly to help you obtain the medical care you need and the compensation you deserve. Please contact our office today for a free evaluation of your case.
Common Causes Of Burn Injuries in Southern California
While burn injuries often occur in the home as a result of touching a hot surface or spilling scalding water, severe burns are frequently caused by another party’s negligence. In particular, burn injuries can be caused by:
- Defective products — Products with design or manufacturing defects or that lack proper warning labels or instructions (e.g. welding tools, electrical equipment, backyard grills), can cause serious burn injuries to consumers.
- Automobile accidents — Car accident victims can suffer thermal or friction burns and may also sustain life-threatening injuries if the vehicle catches fire or explodes.
- Premises liability — Property owners can be held liable for unsafe or defective conditions on their properties that result in burn injuries (e.g. faulty wiring that results in an apartment fire).
- Workplace accidents — Workers are at risk of chemical and thermal burns in industrial and factory accidents, particularly when safety rules and regulations are not followed.
Recovering Damages for Your Burn Injury
Each burn injury case is different; the damages you may be able to recover depend on factors such as the type of accident and the extent of your injuries. SoCal Injury Lawyers will conduct an extensive investigation to determine the cause of the incident that resulted in your burn injury. If you have been injured in a car accident, for example, we will work to prove that the other driver was negligent for causing the accident which resulted in your burn injuries.
Our burn injury lawyers can help you obtain significant compensation that includes economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages will cover your actual losses, such as lost wages and medical expenses, while non-economic damages are intended to cover intangible losses, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Above all, we will provide you with powerful representation when you need it most and fight for compensation that considers all your future medical and financial needs.
Common Types of Burn Injuries
According to the American Burn Association (ABA), there are four main types of burn injuries:
- Thermal burns — The most common type of burn injury, thermal burns or fire burns are caused by exposure of body surfaces to flame or heat in the home or workplace.
- Scalding burns — These burn injuries are caused by hot liquids, such as boiling water, steam, scalding tap water, and spilled coffee; children are at a high risk of suffering scalding burns.
- Electrical burns — These burn injuries occur when a person’s body comes into contact with an electrical current or arc which can lead to subdermal and organ damage.
- Chemical burns — These burn injuries are frequently work-related and may result in damage to the skin, underlying tissue, the lungs, naval cavities, mouth and eyes.
In addition, there are 4 classifications of burn injuries:
- First-degree burns are limited to the first layer of skin and result in symptoms such as redness, minor inflammation, and pain. Such burns can typically be treated with home care, and generally heal within 7 to 10 days.
- Second-degree burns penetrate deeper than the first layer of skin, resulting in blistering that may take as long as 3 weeks to heal. More severe injuries require skin grafts, and may also lead to nerve damage.
- Third-degree burns destroy the outer layer of skin and subcutaneous tissue, and are typically treated with skin grafts and reconstructive surgery.
- Fourth-degree burns damage skin, nerve endings, fat, muscle and bone, which can cause permanent motor damage or result in wrongful death.
Contact Our Experienced Southern California Burn Injury Lawyers
Severe burns are some of the most painful and horrific injuries a person can endure. When burn injuries are caused by another party’s negligent or reckless conduct, victims deserve just compensation. At SoCal Injury Lawyers, we are dedicated to protecting the rights of burn injury victims. We are fluent in Arabic and Spanish and are committed to providing first-rate representation to underserved communities. When you consult with us, we will offer you knowledge and compassion. We handle all burn injury cases on a contingency basis. This means you pay nothing to us until we win compensation for you. Please contact our office today to learn how we can help.