Losing a loved one as a result of another party’s negligence is a terrible experience. Survivors must cope with anger and guilt while grieving and trying to make sense of it all. While no amount of money can replace a life, family members can find justice through a wrongful death lawsuit.
At SoCal Injury Lawyers, we fight for the rights of individuals and families throughout Southern California who have lost loved ones due to the negligent, reckless, or willful conduct of others. When you decide to work with us, our dedicated wrongful death attorneys will offer you knowledge, compassion, and objective insights. We have a proven track record of achieving significant settlements and jury awards and will fight for your right to just compensation.
Above all, we will provide you with a safe environment in which you can make informed decisions. We offer free consultations and you pay nothing to us until we win your case. SoCal Injury Lawyers is dedicated to providing underserved communities with skilled and competent representation and we are fluent in Arabic and Spanish. We understand the turmoil that has befallen you and we will always stand by you. Please reach out to our office today to discuss your case in confidence.
What is wrongful death in California?
To have a viable wrongful death claim, we must be able to demonstrate that:
- The defendant owed your loved one a duty of care
- The defendant breached that duty
- That breach directly caused your loved one’s fatal injury
- You sustained damages (e.g. loss of companionship)
As an example, all drivers in Southern California have a duty of care to operate their vehicles in a safe manner and avoid causing injuries and fatalities. An individual who causes a drunk driving accident that kills another person (e.g. a driver or passenger) has breached his or her duty of care. SoCal Injury Lawyers have the skills and experience to demonstrate negligence in wrongful death claims and a proven history of achieving successful outcomes inside and outside of the courtroom.
Who can bring a wrongful death lawsuit in California?
The following parties are allowed to file a wrongful death lawsuit:
- A surviving spouse
- Surviving children
- Parents or siblings (if there are no direct survivors)
- Others financially dependent individuals
The best way to navigate the legal system is with the guidance of our skilled and compassionate personal injury lawyers. We will be your attorneys and your allies in your fight for justice.
How much is my claim worth?
It is important to remember that each wrongful death case is different and the value of the claim is based on many factors. You should also know that damages are awarded to the estate for certain losses, including:
- Past and future lost wages and benefits
- Medical expenses related to the decedent’s final injury or illness
- Funeral expenses
In addition, surviving family members may recover damages for the value of financial support and services the decedent provided, as well as for the loss of love, companionship, and guidance. No amount of money can justify wrongful death, but compensation will provide you with solace and much needed financial resources as well.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death in Southern California
During our many years of practice, SoCal Injury Lawyers has handled wrongful death claims arising from all types of accidents, including:
- Automobile Accidents — According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), about 35,000 people are killed in car accidents in the U.S. each year, and the majority of accidents are due to driver error (e.g. distracted driving, speeding, driving under the influence).
- Truck Accidents — Depending on the circumstances, negligent trucking companies, truck drivers and third parties can be held liable for truck accidents that result in wrongful death.
- Product Liability — Manufacturers, distributors, and retailers can be held liable for providing dangerous products to consumers that cause wrongful death, as well as for failing to warn them about the dangers of using or misusing a product.
- Violent Crimes — Although assault and other violent crimes that result in fatalities can lead to criminal proceedings, it is possible to file a wrongful death lawsuit regardless of whether the defendant is convicted because the burden of proof is lower in a civil case than a criminal case.
Regardless of the cause of your loved one’s wrongful death, we will provide you with aggressive representation and fight tirelessly to protect your rights.
Contact Our Experienced Southern California Wrongful Death Lawyers
If you have lost a loved one due to another party’s negligence or recklessness, you are probably angry and frightened. Remember, SoCal Injury Lawyers are on your side. We have the skills and resources to hold the responsible parties accountable for wrongful death and the determination to help you find the justice you deserve. Please contact our office today for a free evaluation of your case.